Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
 
Placeholders

World of Warcraft is a relatively fast game, where you hunt the same monster type rarely for more than one hour. That brings a lot more variety into the game than in Everquest, where you would kill the same monster type for many hours, if not days. But on the downside I noticed that WoW players know a lot less of how spawns work than was common knowledge in EQ. I was quite surprised when I recently mentioned placeholders in a WoW conversation, and nobody knew what it was. So I'll explain it here:

World of Warcraft, like most other MMORPG, works with spawn points that are connected to the spawned monsters. That means that if you kill a particular mob, a couple of minutes later a new mob will appear at the same initial location (although it might then wander away from that initial spot). If you don't kill the monster from that spawn point, no new monster spawns. Thus if nobody hunted in an area for some time, the number of monsters there will be equal to the number of spawn points, preventing massive monster overpopulation.

Some spawn points always spawn the same type of monster. Other spawn points have a list of several different possible monsters that can spawn from it. Now imagine you are in the cave in the Western Plaguelands where the nature elementals drop the Greater Nature Protection potion recipe. You will see both elementals and slimes in that cave. By stealth you manage to kill only the elementals, but never the slimes. After having done so for a while you will notice more and more slimes, and less and less elementals. Because every elemental you kill is linked to a spawn point, where either an elemental or a slime can spawn. And if you selectively kill all the elementals, sooner or later all spawn points are blocked by a slime. In this case the slime is a placeholder for an elemental. You need to kill the slime to unblock the place it holds on the spawn point, and have a chance for an elemental to respawn.

That used to be very important in Everquest, because some spawn points had a low chance of spawning a rare monster, with better treasure. So if you wanted that specific treasure, you needed to kill the placeholder on that spawn point until the rare monster spawned there. There are some rare spawns in WoW, but I don't know of people camping those spots.

The important thing is that knowing about placeholders teaches you that you shouldn't hunt too selectively. If the population of your target monster is low in the area where it should normally be, maybe somebody just hunted them and didn't kill the placeholders. For example the first step of the tier 0.5 quest has you hunting spiders and scorpions in Silithus. When lots of people do that, it gets hard to find any spiders and scorpions, but there are a lot of sand worms around. Instead of running around endlessly searching for a scorpion or spider, a much better tactic is to start killing sand worm placeholders in some area, thus making it more likely that a scorpion or spider will respawn near you.

There are lots of placeholders in World of Warcraft, not only for monsters. The thing that annoys me most is people not looting treasure chests completely. Chests often have some better and some junk stuff in it, and people not knowing how spawns work (or not caring) only take the good stuff out and leave the junk in. Then the treasure chest doesn't despawn, thus the spawn for the next treasure is blocked. I think things in WoW can despawn on their own, but on a very slow timer.

A bit less obvious is spawn points for resources, like herbs. But sometimes I noticed that for example in Azshara there were lots of less valuable Sungrass, while the more valuable Dreamfoil, Golden Sansam, or Mountain Silversage were all gone. In that case I always harvest the less valuable stuff, because it can be a placeholder for the more valuable stuff I want. With resources the respawn timer is long, so it takes more patience to profit from removing the placeholders, but it is still worth it.
Comments:
From what I've observed, at least at low levels, chests time out relatively quickly (within 60 seconds) after being partially looted.
 
Playing EQ first and then coming to WoW, which uses similar mechanics but in much less obvious ways, is kinda fun. Using common terms like "respawn" and "camping" usually gets people asking what I'm talking about.

Not sure if that makes me the noob or them =)
 
That's one of the things I like about WoW and its gameplay - it has effectively removed a lot of these "old school" terms from the mandatory vocabulary of its players. A lot of players do still camp a spawn or wait on repops or respawns, but it is entirely optional and, in fact, usually the less-preferred way of obtaining items or leveling.

Of course, as Tobold notes, this also means that many players lack a good understanding of the underlying fundamentals involved, such as placeholders.

If you think about it, this may constitute a mild evolution (or devolution, depending on your p.o.v.) of MMORPG language, terminology and/or playstyle. The real interesting part is that because WoW has drawn in so many players, old *and* new, such an evolution/devolution could have long-standing effects on the genre and/or future games.

Or I could easily be overestimating here, I don't know. I'm just thankful that the "old school" few-camps end-game leveling I found in DAoC is nowhere to be found in WoW.
 
I will always loot all the items in a treasure chest, even the last few crappy vegetables and gray things then destroy them out of my inventory. I think it's just being courteous for your fellow gamer. But there are times that my bags are so full with crap that I cant complete loot all skin-able mobs like I would want or loot chests completely.

In general I think it’s about being courteous and most are not.
 
Are you sure herb spawn points can spawn multiple herbs? If that were the case, the addon Gatherer would not work. I don't think I've ever seen Gatherer tell me one herb should spawn at a given location, but encountered a different herb when I got there.
 
I'm pretty sure Gatherer even has an option of whether to show common and rare herb spawns at the same location as together or apart.

And then I believe that the different herb spawns are linked, but not exactly at the same location, but close to each other. So you could for example have either a Mountain Silversage on the rock, or a Sungrass below the rock, but not both at the same time. But with herbs respawning much slower than mobs, I never thoroughly tested that.
 
I got a map of the Winterspring Chests (& use Gatherer) and camped/farmed a few of the Chests in that area. I hate it when people partial-loot a chest. I know you were here, there's no gold/silver and just one piece of cheese. For Orion's Sake! Just loot the entire chest and destroy the gray stuff! I don't know if these high level chests Despawn but I know they sometimes take over an hour to Respawn. The Winterspring Chests are definitely worth camping but I'd recommend farming the Mobs around the location while you wait...or is that still considered Camping? Just look out for the selfish SOBs that don't hesitate to loot your newly spawned chest while you fight the Chimera that just popped on top of you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool